Sunday, February 28, 2010

Goodbye Lone Wolves

Had two great games yesterday with Alvin (Tyranids, see http://grimcron.wordpress.com/) and Stanley (Ultramarines). I had double the wonderful learning experiences and also double the fun!

I had a win and a draw but it was a sad day for my Lone Wolves. Four Lone Wolves died that day (I had 2 Lone Wolves in my list which I used in both games). Honestly, I wouldn't feel so bad if they had done something significant. They were meant to die in battle afterall!

Let's review what happened in the two games:
1. Game 1: Lone Wolf 1 charged a Hive Tyrant and was swallowed before striking back
2. Game 1: Lone Wolf 2 charged a Harpy and was swallowed before striking back
3. Game 2: Lone Wolf 1 was killed by a barrage of shots. No combat
4. Game 2: Lone Wolf 2 charged a sniper squad and killed only 2 in 3 turns. Needless to say, the squad stayed in combat until even footslogging Thunderhammer Terminators arrived to smash him to a pulp.

So far, the best role my Lone Wolves performed was as a tarpit. I need a unit that not only tarpits, but also support my gun lines. I thought about it and found a better candidate: the Dreadnought. While my Lone Wolves normally do nothing except running till they reached the enemies around Turn 3 (if I am lucky), Dreadnoughts can fire their Assault Cannons (or other guns) before the contact. Of course, Dreadnoughts are more vulnerable to Lascannons and Meltas , and Power-fists/klaws or Monstrous Creatures (which is what my Wolf Guards and Long Fangs are for). For the latter, discretion is the better part of valour I guess. I am a cunning wolf anyway =) Ahwooooo!

Time to do some playtesting...

3 comments:

  1. Hey bro,

    I think your Lone Wolves are great when in god mode. Which is why i try to avoid them haha! Can they take cyclone missile launchers or storm bolters? Mebe they can now move and shoot as well. If replaced, i will miss them lots, especially the 'wolf throwing' ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shhhhhh. The "wolf throwing" is between us at YouCai's. Lol. I agree that Lone Wolves are wonderful in God Mode haha, but they have been lacklustre lately. I will certainly miss them too, especially after I took care to paint them already. I guess I will just try some games with my Dreadnoughts first.

    No worries. Here in Fenris, there are always spare wolves to throw lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "God mode" lone wolf very scary!

    I had seen a "God mode" lone wolf stand up to 60 splinter rifle and 8 dark lance shots.

    MADNESS!

    ReplyDelete